I am not usually very emotional, or willing to share the more caring side of myself but I can't help it just this once. August 14 would have been my Mom and Dad's anniversary. Especially over the past 2 days I have found myself in constant memory of them. As I was telling the kids yesturday about my Mom and Dad's anniversary they reminded me that for the first time in 9 years they would actually be celebrating together. (Mike also stated he was sure that even in heaven my Dad probably still forgot.) My mom was an amazing person. She was talented, caring, a good cook, devoted, cheerful, patient, and a good neighbor. I always admired her ability to make new friends. I admire her devotion to her callings at church and her steadfastness in the gospel. (She is all the things that I want to be, but am not.) There was no doubt that her test was long but she endured it well. I often wish she were here to give the advice I thought I would never use. I wish she were here to fill the lonely hours of the day. I wish she were here to be the friend that I would complain to when I've had a bad day. And I wish she were here to tell my kids all the bad things I did when I was little. My Dad was a hard worker. A dedicated husband and devoted to family. I miss hearing him play with the kids, I miss the 11:00 p.m. chats, I miss running him gas in the middle of the night when he ran out. And I miss his odd sense of humor. I share these thoughts today as a constant reminder to myself that someday my kids will know and understand how much I love them. I share this for my kids who wonder about the Grandma they never really met. And to remember their Grandpa who was so much apart of their young lives. For my sisters who all we have now is each other. And for my friends who wonder where the heck I came from. Don't blame my parents they tried. Parenthood is full of challenges, full of laughter, full of love, full of feelings you never knew you had, full of lessons, full of financial responsibility, and full of all the greatest things the world has to offer. I love being a Mom and I know that it will take me more than a life time to accomplish what my mom did in her short time. Thank goodness for parents!!!!!!!!!!!!
Friday, August 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks.. I needed a good cry!
I only knew your mom when she was very sick, but I just remember that she was always smiling and happy and didn't take much for her to laugh at you. She had such a good attitude despite what she was going through. She was so sweet to me all the time too! She always told me that I had pretty hair. ( I hang onto compliments that people give as they are far and few) and your dad was a fun guy too, he was a hard worker and was sooo good to your mom and took such good care of her. I bet that they are so happy to be together again! And I am sure that they are VERY proud of you. You are a wonderful mother to your kids and I admire you and your cute sisters for being able to have such a good, positive and happy outlook on life! I don't think that I could do it!
Thanks for this post, it helps me remember things that are important.
love ya tons
Yes, Mom and Dad finally got to celebrate again after many years. I am sure mom wouldn't let dad forget after this many years.
You are great mom just like mom was to us. You have three wonderful kids to show for that. You are so very devoted to them with all sports they are involved in practices and games. It may not be exactly same way mom was but everything you do was learned by mom.
These are memory we need to hold on to. We had so many challenge growing up but those challenge are what makes us who we are today. I think we all have turned out pretty good we have become stronger because of them. I am sure mom and dad are so proud of you and your family and Barb and her family. You both have wonderful kids. We love you! Thanks for sharing this I know it was hard.
Val...
That was pretty great! I almost called you on the 14th, except for my terrific job kept me busy all day! And, by the way, mom was definitely NOT a good cook! Do you remmeber how many bowls of lumpy Malt-o-Meal I had to finish for you before we could leave the table???
Post a Comment