Today, 6-8-2008 was the John D. Hawkes Memorial 5K Walk/Run. This event was in memory of Ruth Greensides father who passed away from Parkinsons disease. Our whole family entered to run the race. On Monday of this week myself, (Val) and the kids decided we would go out and practice for the race. Morgan and Thaddeus made it maybe 1 mile and they were done, Micah and myself made it just about 2 miles and we were done. So the practice run not being quite up to par I was really worried about the actual day of the event. But apparently I had no reason to worry. When the race started Morgan was off and running. She started out pulling Micah because she wanted to go faster. She gave up on us and found a good running partner, her Aunt Andra and the two of them were off. Morgan ran the race in 34 min and 41 seconds. She ran the entire first mile before she stopped at all. She ran the race 6 minutes faster than Mike and I. (course Mike was just nice and waited for his wife. I am sure he could have ran it faster than that.) Amazing. Morgan took first place in her age group. Thaddeus ran 2 miles and then stopped to hang out with Grandma and Grandpa Greensides who were at the 2 mile water station. And Micah, stopped and rested for a bit there and then ended up finishing the race with Aunt Megan. It was a great experience. We enjoyed it right up till this afternoon when the muscles started aching. Aunt Andra said she was sure that Morgan could have made the race faster had she quit talking. Apparently during her 34 min jaunt she talked the entire time. Andra said all she could do was say uh-huh because she was too out of breath to carry her part of the conversation. We were proud of the kids. They all did an awesome job. This was a great experience, and we would have had a great photo of the entire family to share if I hadn't deleted the pictures from the camera before I realized I hadn't downloaded them all. Oh well Micah assured me there would be another year for a photo and she's right. We will make this an annual race for the family. I am sure by next year Morgan will run it once and then come back to find us a 2nd go round.
Saturday, June 7, 2008
34 Min 41 Sec
Posted by Val at 4:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment